Thursday, October 13, 2011

Teaching moment

I have been a student for years and I have "taught" for a long time and it is rare that I have those moments that I see my work paying off. Recently I decided to go for my MA in education instead of running the gauntlet of the California Credential track. I have also moved from a materialistic city to a humble, quiet forest town. I love living there. I love the sounds and smells and sights. I have run into the problem that there are not very many jobs in a small town. So I am on the road to becoming the newest tutor in my little town.

I have my first student (that isn't related to me) and he is an 11th grader. I bit my nails down anticipating a student that I would have little to nothing in common with and that I had no experience teaching. You see I have taught for many years but they were children from 2 years old to 12 years old, a 16 year old was a little overwhelming.

But something amazing happened during our second session, as I was explaining why we use quotes from an article in a paper, my student pulled out his notebook and began writing.
 I stopped speaking and carefully asked “What are you writing buddy?" he scribbled some more and looked up and said
" What you just said Mrs. Stromberg, it was a great tip and I don't want to forget it."

I could have cried. I was so ecstatic that not only did he hear me, he was actively listening. As a teacher you don't get that very often but man it is worth the wait.

2 comments:

  1. It is so great to read how his behavior affected you. I know how much passion for teaching you have and I've seen first hand how much of that passion you give each individual student. It's about time one of them returned that to you (in his own way). High-Five!

    ReplyDelete